Share Your Driving Stories and Earn Cash!
Safe2Drive is seeking true stories about your experiences as a new or young driver to be published in our driver education course and textbook. We want to hear from teens about what it’s really like out there on the road. What experiences challenged you? Changed you? Scared you straight? Made you proud of your defensive driving skills?
Below are some of the topics you may choose to write about, though you are not required to write about any of these topics as long as your story is related to driving.
• Getting your permit or license
• Challenges or fears you faced when you first started driving
• Mistakes you made or witnessed while driving
• Aggressive driving or road rage
• Drinking and driving
• Texting and driving
• Being distracted while behind the wheel
• A time you did or did not use IPDE
• An accident caused by tailgating or not using proper space management
• Giving the right-of-way correctly/incorrectly
• Parallel parking
• Sharing the road with trucks, motorcycles or vulnerable roadway users
• Vehicle breakdowns or malfunctions
• Taking a road trip
• Your story must be written in the first person and be about you.
• Your story must be true. No fictional accounts.
• Your story must be between 250-1,200 words.
• Make it a story—something funny, exciting, or scary—that readers can relate to. We are not looking for an essay with a thesis or a journalistic article that you would see in a newspaper. This should feel personal.
• Try incorporating dialogue and descriptions of the people and setting to draw the reader in and make them feel like they are really there, experiencing this along with you. Try evoking the five senses.
• Think about having a beginning, middle, and end to the story. In the beginning, you should introduce the setting (i.e. time and place).
• Start as close to the main action/event as possible.
If Your Story is Chosen
If we choose your story for publication in our course, we will notify you by email and request your permission to publish it. You will be paid $100 for all rights to your work. You may use a pen name if you do not feel comfortable using your real name.
Submission Deadline: January 1, 2015
Please submit your story to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit the website: http://www.safe2drive.com/