Florence Poets Society
ANNUAL POETRY CONTEST IS BACK
THE 2007 EDITION BEGINS ON THE IDES OF MARCH (15TH) AND ENTRIES CLOSE ON MAY 31, 2007. THIS YEAR IT IS A SINGLE WINNER RECEIVING THE GRAND PRIZE OF $1,000 AND PUBLICATION IN SILKWORM 2007 THE ANNUAL REVIEW OF THE FLORENCE POETS SOCIETY PLUS THE TOP READING SPOT AT OUR ANNUAL FALL POETRY FESTIVAL.
Poetry Contest Submission Guidelines
I. This contest is open to all poets of all ages, published or not; regardless of experience.
II. Prize of $1,000.00 is guaranteed to be awarded :
III. Winner will be published in the Florence Poets Society Annual Review the SILKWORM – 2007. Winner will receive a copy of the SILKWORM 2007.
IV. Noteworthy works will earn the poet a designation “Poet of Distinction” and with it consideration for publication in Silkworm 2007 as well as a commemorative printed award of said designation.
IV. DETAILS [please read carefully]
1. All poems submitted must be the ORIGINAL and UNPUBLISHED* (see note above) work (in any medium) of the entrant.
2. Each poet may submit up to three (3) poems with their entry.
3. Poem length is limited to 60 lines for each poem. There are NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule. Poems that exceed 60 lines will be disqualified and entry fee WILL NOT be returned.
4. All entries must be in English (a translation from another language is allowed).
5. Poems may be of any theme, style, form, etc. No Preference is given to any one form.
6. Simultaneous submissions are permitted and encouraged. If they are accepted elsewhere please inform us immediately, no entry fees will be returned.
7. Three typed copies of each poem must be submitted. ONLY ONE MUST HAVE IDENTIFYING INFORMATION. The other two copies MUST BE POEM TEXT ONLY. Place title on each page of poem and number pages. All judging is done without knowledge of the author, each entry receives a code for identification purposes. Names are revealed AFTER final judging is completed and prize is determined by the code designation.
8. All winners will be notified by mail on or about July 15, 2007
9. No entries will be returned under any circumstances please retain copies of your work.
10. All poems remain the property of the poet at all times. By submitting your entry you automatically give the FPS the right to publish the work for any purpose FPS shall choose. However that publication shall be limited to only one time. The FPS is under no obligation to publish any entry at any time and may disqualify any entry at any time.
11. All judges are members of Florence Poets Society. They, their family, friends and students are disqualified participation.
12. This contest may be terminated and all entries and reading fees returned to the entrants at the discretion of the Directors of the Florence Poets Society.
V. TO ENTER ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE CLOSE OF BUSINESS ON MAY 31, 2007
Winners will be selected on or before July 1, 2007
Winners will be notified on or about July 15, 2007
ALL ADULT ENTRIES MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY A READING FEE OF $15.00 in United States funds payable by check or money order. BE SURE TO INCLUDE: YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS
Mail your entries to:
Florence Poets Society
P.O. Box 60355
Florence, Massachusetts 01062
“what is publication”
The key criteria is: Someone independently decided to publish your poem and that person was not influenced or controlled by you, the author. Self publication is not considered publication for purposes of this contest. If you have printed your work into a self produced chapbook or given a poem to friends and family for a holiday or your work has been posted on your own website then that is not the publication envisioned by the directors.
THIS WORK IS OK TO SUBMIT IF YOU HAVE SUBMITTED YOUR WORK TO AN ONLINE SITE OR A PRINTED JOURNAL, BOOK ETC. AND IT HAS BEEN ACCEPTED BY THE EDITOR THEN IT IS CONSIDERED AS PUBLISHED BY THE DIRECTORS ADMINISTERING THIS CONTEST. THAT WORK IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THIS CONTEST.
Also note that members of the Florence Poets Society are eligible to enter this contest but will not be given any preference by the Directors (NB in 2006 several members of FPS entered the contest and none were selected to win a prize)