AWP offers two annual scholarships to emerging writers who wish to attend a writers’ conference,
center, retreat, festival, or residency. The scholarships are applied to fees for winners who attend
one of AWP’s member WC&C programs. Winners and four finalists also receive a one-year
individual membership in AWP.
• Former or current students of the judge are ineligible. Previous recipients of WC&C
scholarships are also not eligible to submit.
• Submissions in fiction and poetry will be considered. Separate submissions in each genre are
• Writers’ names must not appear on submissions. A separate cover sheet must accompany
submissions and include the following: name, address, phone number, email address, title,
and genre. Please bind submissions by staple, binder clip, or paper clip. If you wish to be
notified that your manuscript was received please include a self-addressed, stamped
• All manuscripts must be single-sided and typed. Prose must be double-spaced. A maximum
of one short story (or novel excerpt) up 25 pages or 10 pages of poetry will be considered.
Each new poem must start a new page.
• You may enter in more than one genre, and you may also enter multiple manuscripts in one
genre, provided that each manuscript is accompanied by its own entry fee.
• A $10 reading fee, either as a check or money order in U.S. dollars made payable to AWP,
must accompany each submission.
Submissions are accepted between December 1 and March 30 of each year and should be mailed to:
WC&C Scholarship Competition
Association of Writers & Writing Programs
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
Visit the website: https://www.awpwriter.org/contests/wcc_scholarships_overview