2013 Theme: “Provide an example of how you became an active participant
in your care”; cash prizes to be awarded
Renal Support Network (RSN), a nonprofit, patient-focused, patient-run organization that provides nonmedical services to those affected by chronic kidney disease (CKD), encourages people with kidney disease to let their voices be heard by entering the 11th Annual RSN Essay Contest. This year’s theme is, “Provide an example of how you became an active participant in your care.” All submissions must be written by someone who has been diagnosed with CKD, and cash prizes will be awarded.
RSN Essay Contest winners will receive cash prizes: First Place, $500; Second Place, $300; and Third Place, $100. Winners’ names will be announced after September 10, 2013, and the winning essays will be featured in RSN’s publication, Live & Give, and posted on RSNHope.org.
HOW TO ENTER
- Essays must not exceed 750 words and must focus on this year’s theme: “provide an example of how you became an active participant in your care.” Limit one entry per person. Additional contact information (the author’s complete name, address, phone number, and email address, if applicable) must be included on a separate page. All submissions become the property of RSN and will not be returned.
- Entries can be faxed to (818) 244-9540 , emailed to essay@RSNhope.org or mailed to RSN Essay Contest, Renal Support Network, 1311 N. Maryland Ave., Glendale, CA 91207. All entries must be postmarked or received by 12:00 p.m. EDT on August 1, 2013.
HOW ENTRIES WILL BE JUDGED
- All entries will be judged by an expert panel of writers and people with kidney disease on the basis of the following factors: appropriateness to the Contest Theme, Originality and Creativity, and Technical Correctness (spelling, grammar, and an accurate explanation of the disease and/or treatment). In the event of a tie, the entry with the highest Originality and Creativity score will be selected as the winner.
OFFICIAL RSN ESSAY CONTEST RULES
- The contest is open only to people who have been diagnosed with CKD and live in the United States and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of RSN or of agencies advertising and promoting the contest, their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household are not eligible to enter. The winner is not permitted to substitute or transfer the prize. All federal, state and local laws apply, and the winner is responsible for paying any applicable taxes.
- Essays must be typed. Handwritten essays will NOT be accepted.
- The winners will receive an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability and Publicity and have 15 days to execute it, certifying that the entry is their own original work. If the winner is a minor, a parent or guardian must sign the affidavit on behalf of the minor. Noncompliance can result in disqualification and the selection of another winner.
- All entries must consist of original works that have never been published before and must not infringe on any third-party rights. By entering the contest, the entrant gives RSN the right to use, edit or publish the entry without further compensation. The winners assign all copyrights to RSN.
- Unless such use or permission is prohibited by law, those who enter the contest and/or accept a prize grant permission to sponsors and their agencies to use the winners’ names and/or likenesses for purposes of advertising/trade without further compensation. Prizes are nontransferable. By accepting a prize, the winner agrees to hold RSN and its directors, officers, employees and assignees harmless against any and all claims of liability arising from the use of the prize. The winner assumes all liability for any injury or damage caused by, or claimed to be caused by, participation in this promotion or by the use/redemption of any prize.
- Entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules as stated and the decisions of the judges. RSN is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, the administration of the contest or the announcement of the prizes. In addition, RSN is not responsible for lost, late, mutilated or illegible entries.
For further information about the contest and its rules, entrants can visit RSNHope.org.
Renal Support Network (RSN) is a nonprofit, patient-focused, patient-run organization that provides nonmedical services to those affected by chronic kidney disease (CKD). RSN strives to motivate and assist people with CKD and to help them develop their personal coping skills, special talents and employability by educating and empowering them (and their family members) to take control of the course and management of their disease. RSN values people with kidney disease and helps them become self-sufficient through education, advocacy and the hope for a better tomorrow through its many educational and support programs, including the RSN HOPEline, KidneyTalk, and the Live & Give newsletter. Visit RSNHope.org for more information.