Prize: $1000 and publication
- Poet must have no more than one previously published book. Chapbooks and books in other genres do not count.
- Translations and previously self-published books are not eligible.
- If you have hired Perugia Press editor Susan Kan for a personal manuscript review of any of your work, you are not eligible to enter.
- Individual poems may have been published previously in magazines, journals, anthologies, and chapbooks of fewer than 48 pages, but the collection as a whole must be unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Notify Perugia Press if accepted elsewhere.
- Manuscripts are generally between 45 and 80 pages. Please submit manuscripts that fall within or close to this page count. Use 8.5 x 11-inch white paper with legible typeface, pagination, contents, and no more than one poem per page.
- A non-refundable entry fee of $26 must accompany each submission. You may submit more than one manuscript; each is considered separately and must include a separate entry fee.
- Manuscripts must be submitted between August 1 and November 15 (postmark). Winner is announced by April 1.
- All manuscripts will be recycled or deleted at the conclusion of the competition. Please do not send your only copy.
- To be certain that manuscripts receive the fairest consideration, all manuscripts are submitted to the judging panel anonymously. Take care to follow instructions so that we can remove your name.
- All readers are trusted and respected by Perugia Press.
- We adhere to the CLMP Ethics Statement. See below.
Submitting to us online is easy, saves you money in postage, and saves trees.
- Remove identifying material (name, address, email, bio, etc.) from your manuscript and save as a single electronic file in .pdf format (e.g. poems.pdf). Other accepted formats are .rtf (rich text format), or .doc or .docx (MSWord).
- Read and follow all application instructions on the online submissions page.
- Use the submission form to upload your manuscript file.
- Make your payment of $26 using your credit card at our secure site.
- Attach two cover pages: one with title of manuscript, name, address, telephone number, and email address, and one with title of manuscript only.
- Remove your name from any other manuscript pages.
- Cover letter and bio not required. Publications acknowledgments may be included.
- Include a $26 check or money order made out to Perugia Press.
- Fasten the pages with a removable clip.
- Send manuscript and fee via USPS (not FedEx or UPS) to:
Perugia Press Prize
PO Box 60364
Florence, MA 01062
Visit the website: http://www.perugiapress.com/contest