Call for entries: Now through May 13, 2016
Performances: July 15 to 17, 2016
INFORMATION FOR PLAYWRIGHTS — OVERVIEW
The deadline for entries is midnight on Friday, May 13, 2016
All entrants will receive:
• Acknowledgment of receipt of submissions and administrative fee.
• Notification of 8 Finalist plays, preceding TheatreFest.
• Notification of winners, following the conclusion of TheatreFest
All information will be posted to this website.
Each of the eight finalists will receive a full production of his or her play and two complimentary tickets to TheatreFest. (We can’t offer travel and room accommodations for finalists, those who are able to attend will be greeted, feted, and showered with recognition!)
Additionally, we will send out press releases about the finalist playwrights to our local publications and to any of the playwrights’ respective outlets.
First Place: $350
Second Place: $250
Third Place: $150
Five Runners Up: $50/each
EACH PLAY SUBMISSION MUST FOLLOW THE RULES BELOW:
- Each play must include the 2016 prop, an envelope of cash. See description below.
- Maximum running time is 10 minutes. Less is fine.
- Cast maximum is three. Any combo, gender-wise. No characters under the age of sixteen.
- Technical requirements must be minimal. Plays produced are performed on a bare stage utilizing wooden blocks and simple furniture to signify a variety of things. Costume, sound and lighting requirements must also be simple.
- No one-person plays, no musicals, or children’s plays.
- Playwrights must be at least 18 years old.
- Submitted plays must be un-produced and un-performed outside of readings, workshops, and festivals. Submitted plays may have been entered in other contests.
- You must be the sole creator of the play and entitled to confer performance rights.
- If chosen as a finalist, you grant performance rights, royalty-free, to Weathervane Playhouse for three performances during the 2016 8×10 TheatreFest.
- The play remains the sole property of the playwright.
THE 2016 INSPIRATION — AN ENVELOPE OF CASH
Each year at TheatreFest, the audience chooses a special prop that must be incorporated into the following year’s plays.
Our 2015 audience members chose an envelope of cash. The envelope is a security envelope 6.5″ x 3.5″. The cash consists of $3,000 in $100 increments, bills are printed back and front. The bills and envelope cannot be damaged or destroyed in your script.
Please note: Although the bills provided are specific, the rules don’t require that you open the envelope to display the currency or use the amount provided.
How to enter: http://www.weathervaneplayhouse.com/8x10TheatreFest