$5000 Awarded – Ten Writers Recognized
Every year The Masters Review opens submissions to produce our anthology, a collection of ten stories written by the best emerging authors. Our aim is showcase ten writers who we believe will continue to produce great work. The ten winning writers are nationally distributed in a printed book with their stories and essays exposed to top agents, editors, and authors across the country. Our third volume was awarded the Silver Medal for Best Short Story Collection through the INDIEFAB Awards in 2015, and our fourth volume published this fall. The deadline to submit to Volume V is March 31.To learn about past volumes, click here.
- fiction and narrative nonfiction
- 7000 word count maximum
- international submissions allowed
- simultaneous and multiple submissions are allowed, but please inform us if your story has been accepted elsewhere
- previously unpublished work only
- emerging writers only: cannot have a novel published at the time of submission (self-published authors and writers with published story collections are free to submit. Authors with a contract for a novel are also free to submit.)
- $20 reading fee per story
- $500 award
- Publication in a nationally distributed journal
- Exposure to over 50 literary agencies
- Contributor’s copy
- All writers are part of an exclusive mailing. We send our anthology to editors, writers, and literary institutions across the country
“I read your issues like clockwork! I’m a literary agent, and there’s such a great cast of emerging writers on this site that I’m always checking in to see if there’s anyone who might be looking for representation for longer form work.” –VICTORIA MARINI, GELFMAN SCHNEIDER / ICM PARTNERS
“If these are the voices we’ll be hearing from, American literature has an awful lot to look forward to.” –RAMONA AUSUBEL, author of No One is Here Except All of Us and A Guide to Being Born
The shortlist will be announced on April 15th, 2016.
The winners will be announced on or before May 15th, 2016.
How to enter, visit: https://mastersreview.com/short-story-award-for-new-writers/