School may be out for the summer, but The Writer is still looking to learn a thing or two. Our latest short story contest is about education in all forms: life lessons, coming-of-age lessons, lessons learned the hard way. Whether your character is steeped in academia or getting educated at the School of Hard Knocks, we want to see them at the brink of change – and about to learn a lesson they’ll never forget.
Deadline: August 31st, 2016
Grand prize: $1,000 and publication in our magazine
Word count: 2,000 words or less
Other prizes: Our second-place winner will receive $500 and publication on our website, writermag.com; our third-place winner will receive $250 and publication on writermag.com as well.
Not the writing contest for you? Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to hear when we launch a new one.
• The submission deadline is midnight eastern time on August 31, 2016.
• The entry fee is $25 (including processing fees).
• We encourage you to submit multiple stories – for a discounted entry fee of $15. All entries must be submitted on the same transaction in order to get the discounted rate. The first submission will be $25 and each additional submission (up to 5 per transaction) will be $15.
• You may enter simultaneously submitted work.
• Please remove your name, bio and any contact info from the file that you submit – including title page, header and footer.
• A blind reading of all entries will be conducted by the editorial staff of The Writer.
• Close friends and colleagues (current & former) of the The Writer staff and Madavor Media are not eligible to compete.
• All submissions must be submitted via our online submission form manager. We will not accept mail or email submissions.
• All submissions must be previously unpublished.
• Entry fees are non-refundable.
• International (non-US) writers are welcome to submit.
• Must be 18 years or older to enter.
How to submit, visit: https://writermag.submittable.com/submit/61113