The 2017 Nonfiction Prize is now open–we invite you to submit your essay to our nonfiction contest.
Our VanderMey Nonfiction Prize has gained national recognition, with our 2013 recipient receiving a Pushcart Prize and appearing in the 2013 Pushcart Prize anthology. The winner of the VanderMey Nonfiction Prize will receive $1500 and publication in Ruminate. The runner-up will receive $200 and publication in Ruminate.
We strongly recommend ordering a past copy of Ruminate to better understand the type of work we are looking for. You can order a nonfiction bundle of print issues featuring our nonfiction prize winners from past years, Issue 35, Issue 32, Issue 28, and Issue 24. PDF versions of the magazine are also available for $5 each.
Nonfiction Contest Guidelines:
- We’re pleased to announce that author Josh MacIvor-Andersen will be serving as our finalist judge.
- The submission deadline for the nonfiction contest is November 15th, 2016. Note – there is a grace period of three days for this prize. Entries submitted by 11:59 PST on Nov. 18 will be entered into the contest.
- The entry fee is $20 (includes a complimentary copy of Ruminate, international entries will receive a complimentary PDF copy).
- You may submit one nonfiction piece per entry and it must be 5500 words or less. There is no limit on the number of entries per person.
- $1500 and publication in Ruminate will be awarded to the winner. The runner-up will receive $200 and publication.
- An anonymous reading of all entries will be conducted by a panel of Ruminate readers, who will select 10 nonfiction finalists. Those finalists will then be read for our final judge who will select a winner.
- Close friends and students (current & former) of the final judge are not eligible to compete, nor are Ruminate blog contributors or close friends of the Ruminate staff. Previous first-place winners of the Nonfiction Prize and previous judges of the Nonfiction Prize are also not eligible to compete.
- All submissions must be submitted via our online submission form manager. We will not accept mail or email submissions.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished.
- You may enter simultaneously submitted work, however, please withdraw your work immediately if accepted elsewhere.
- You may submit any type of creative nonfiction–personal essay, short memoir, literary journalism, etc.
- We will notify all entrants of submission status in mid-January, 2017.
- Please remove your name, bio, and any contact info from the file that you submit.
Visit the website for details on how to enter: