Words with JAM
BIGGER Short Story
Our Annual Short Story Competition just got BIGGER. Not only do we have our usual 2500 word Short Story Category, but now we have a Shorter Story Category for stories up to 1000 words and a Shortest Story Category for stories up to 250 words.
Overall Prize Pot £1500
1st prize in each category – £300
2nd prize in each category – £100
3rd prize in each category – £50
5 runners up in each category will be published in the first volume of our Short Story Anthology (of which they will receive a copy), and awarded £10.
All winners and runners up will receive a printed copy of our first Short Story Anthology (inclusion optional*)
31st October 2012
All three winning entries will be published in the February 2013 issue of Words with JAM. Winners will each receive a printed copy.
· Stories can be up to, but not exceeding the category word limits of 2500, 1000 and 250 words, excluding the title.
· You can submit more than one story. First story submitted is £6 and £4 per story thereafter, regardless of category.
· Stories must be uploaded as Word Documents. Please DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES put your name ANYWHERE on your Word Document as it will be judged anonymously.
· To enter please pay by Paypal using the options below or post a cheque made payable to Quinn Publications to 2 Malt Kiln Road, Newbiggin, Ulverston, Cumbria, LA12 0TU, then complete the entry form below and upload your entries.
· If you have any problems completing the online entry form, please email your Word Document(s) to email@example.com and include the information requested on the entry form in the body of the email.
A Few Rules
It is vital that you read the competition rules before submitting. There aren’t many!
· We will not return or keep entries after the winners have been announced. Please keep your own copy.
· Entries must be in English.
· You must be 16 years or over.
· Stories must be previously unpublished either online or in print, and must not have been accepted for publication elsewhere. We do, however, accept stories that have been on critique forums or are currently submitted to another competition.
· Online entries will be acknowledged within 48 hours, when we have had chance to give them a reference on our system.
· No alterations may be made to a story once it has been submitted.
· Copyright remains with the author. However, Words with JAM retain the right to publish the winning stories in its magazine and on its website, and for general PR for a period not exceeding 18 months.
· Entries from regular columnists of Words with JAM, or any person assisting in the judging process, will not be accepted.
· Prizes will be paid within 30 days of publication of the winning entries either by cheque, bank transfer, or Paypal.
* Inclusion in our Short Story Anthology is optional, and does not effect eligibility for prize money. Proceeds from the Anthology will be put towards next year’s competition prize fund.
Visit the website: