The Princeton Theatre Group
invites submission of scripts to be considered for the 2017
New Works Festival
One-Act Scripts and Ten-Minute Plays
Winners will receive a staged reading by professional actors
during Festival 56, Illinois’ largest summer theatre festival.
The New Works Festival will also include a playwrights’ reception
and opportunities to receive feedback of the winning works.
No entry fee — No cash prizes
- Submission deadline: 1 March 2017
- Winners will be notified by 1 May 2017
- Production dates: August 4 and 5 2017
- Only complete scripts will be considered; no excerpts from longer works.
- Scripts must be original, unpublished, and not previously produced.
- Each playwright may submit only one script per category. It is possible for a playwright to win in both categories.
- Competition is open to adult playwrights around the English-speaking world. No juvenile writers.
- Target audience: adults, including young adults.
- Genre: comedy, drama, tragedy, farce, hybrid; theatrical storytelling. No monologues, children’s plays, adaptations, or musicals.
- Cast may contain any number of characters of any race, ethnicity, or gender.
- Theme and subject matter are open; however, excessively strong language is discouraged.
- Winners will grant Festival 56 and Princeton Theatre Group first production rights. Playwrights retain copyright.
- At least one One-Act and up to six Ten-Minute scripts will be selected for staged readings. Total number of winners will depend upon the number and range of submissions.
- The decision of the judges is final. Judges will not provide any written or verbal critiques.
- Winning playwrights are strongly encouraged to attend their readings, although attendance is not a requirement for winning. If the playwright is present, a talkback with the audience and actors will immediately follow the reading of each script.
Criteria for selection
- Well developed storyline within a short work
- Natural and creative dialogue
- Quality of writing and dramatic structure
- Ability of script to connect with an audience
- Type script with 1-inch margins on all four edges, using a 12-point serif type such as Times New Roman, Palatino, or Courier.
- Use standard script format including cast of characters, setting, etc.
- Do NOT put your real name on your script! On the first page of the script, under the title, put a pen name of your choice.
Use the script title as the name of this document.
- Create a separate document giving your real name, address, email, phone, the title of your script, and either your real age or the statement “I am over 18.”
Use your pen name as the name of this document.
This document will not be opened until after winners have been selected.
- Attach both the script document and the identifying document to an email as a Word doc, Pages doc, or PDF.
- Send One-Act entries to Festival56oneact@gmail.com by 1 March 2017.
Send Ten-Minute entries to Festival56tenmin@gmail.com by 1 March 2017.
For a list of winners, see the Festival 56 website after 1 May 2017.
Princeton Theatre Group
Grace Performing Arts Center
316 South Main Street
Princeton IL 61356